So excited that you will be here soon!
- Register for pitch coaching - see sidebar at right or click here...
- Fill out Questionnaire (so we know who you want us to invite!)...
- Instructions for pitchers on Wednesday, 15 June...
- About your pitch...
- About your demo...
- Investor Showcase schedule...
- Investor Showcase logistics...
You'll get the details for your (very busy) week in Cambridge during the orientation session on Sunday, 12 June, but here's what you need to know about the Investor Showcase:
The Showcase is a half-day program featuring pitches for each of your startups. You will also have a table for your demo nearby. We are inviting leading investors from the area to listen to you pitch and to network with you (which is the reason it's important that you use the questionnaire below to let us know whom you want in the audience. This event is your chance to shine!
Managing the Showcase is my (Linda's) responsibility and - as usual - I want to help you be the best you can be. Here's how:
- Before 8 June, each of you will have an up to two-hour coaching session with me (via webinar, use the form at right to sign up, last date is 8 June!).
- In addition to working on your pitch, we will talk use the session to talk about your demo and about the blog post that will appear in MIT Technology Review. It's important that both are engaging and interesting to potential investors.
- On Tuesday, 14 June, we'll have a practice session for all of you to pitch in front of the rest of the group, and get feedback.
- On Wednesday (see schedule below), you will have a 15-minute slot for your pitch: you can pitch for up to 10 minutes, then the rest of the time will be for audience Q&A.
- We'll have one or two opportunities for investors to visit you at your demo table during the program.
- At the conclusion of the program, we'll have a party to celebrate your great pitches and for you to network with a lot of people from the Boston entrepreneurial ecosystem.
If you have any questions, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org...
ASAP: Please take a moment to:
- Schedule time for your pitch coaching session using the form in the sidebar at right...
- Fill out the Showcase Pitcher Questionnaire...
When you have a minute:
About your pitch
Please read this setup carefully!
There will be two pitch sessions on 15 June, each ~ 2 hours long, followed by the gala.
At the Showcase itself (lunch starts at 12:30), the audience will comprise primarily invited investors. They will have the option of visiting your demo table during the registration period, one 30-minute break, and during the gala.
The format for the Showcase is as follows:
- Each entrepreneur will have a 13-minute window.
- You may spend a maximum of 10 minutes on your pitch, leaving 3 minutes for audience Q&A.
- I encourage you, where practical, to shorten your pitch to 8 or 9 minutes so that you can benefit from additional Q&A.
At the Gala, the group will be expanded to include not only the investors at the Showcase, but also leaders in the entrepreneurial communities and others we have invited based on your input in the questionnaire. You should have an elevator pitch prepared for this audience as they visit your demo table.
About your demo
One section of the questionnaire is about your demo during the Showcase. We ask that you bring a demo of your product for a couple of reasons:
- Having a demo makes your innovation more real to your audience and may help them understand it better.
- Having a demo table during breaks and the evening gala will make it easier for interested attendees to find you.
I know that time is short, but please put some thought into what would show your innovation in the best light. Something that attendees can touch or use (even if it is a mockup) is better than having a handout. We can discuss options during our coaching session, or send me an email with your thoughts.
NB: You are not required to show your demo during your pitch.
11:00 - 12:00 Set up demo tables
12:00 - 12:30 Registration and demo time (please be at your table!)
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch and keynote
13:30 - 15:15 Pitch Session 1 (7 pitches, order TBA)
15:15 - 15:45 Coffee break and demo time (please be at your table!)
15:45 - 17:45 Pitch Session 2 (8 pitches, order TBA)
17:45 - 20:00 Gala and demo time (please be at your table!)
- Wednesday, 16 June
- MIT Faculty Club in the Morris and Sophie Chang Building, 7th Floor (map)