Welcome to Boston!
Courtesy of the Consulate General of Canada in Boston, you have access to heavily discounted professional pitch coaching sessions.
If you are in a hurry (and what entrepreneur isn't?), the following bullets will give you the general idea. Want more detail? Scroll down!
- Initial pitch coaching session (2 hours)
- Get feedback on your delivery, content and slides. By the end, we will have restructured your pitch and sketched out your new slides and script. Free (save $500).
- Full pitch development
- Your slide deck and script will be reworked to incorporate the changes from the initial session, including PowerPoint masters, graphics and text. You also get another 1 hour coaching session with the new pitch. $500 (save $1,000)
- About you
- Canadian entrepreneur accepted into the CTA who needs to pitch to investors, customers, partners, potential hires or anyone else.
- Located anywhere - we can work together in person at the Cambridge Innovation Center or online via webinar.
- Industry, stage of company and current status of pitch are irrelevant - If you are an entrepreneur, I can help!
- About me
- I've coached hundreds of entrepreneurs who have gone on to raise > $250M. I am experienced in management of startup and established companies and technically trained (PhD MS&E Stanford, BS Physics MIT). And I love what I do!
Ready to sign up?
Just fill in the form at right and we will get to work!
Need more convincing? Read on! (But really - the first session is free. Just do it!)
Compelling Pitches Work Better
We all know that what should matter when you pitch is the quality of the value proposition you're offering. But consider two points:
- You have a LOT of competition for every investor dollar.
- Investors are looking for an opportunity to say, "No!"
No matter how good your underlying concept is, you are hurting your company, your team and your chances of success if you don't have the most compelling pitch possible.
Compelling Doesn't Have to Mean Fancy Graphics
Great graphics can be a very helpful tool in communicating your value proposition and they may get you past the first meeting, but substance and a clear story are the factors that will win you investment, customers and partners.
To stand out from the crowd, you need four things:
- A compelling and engaging story;
- The substance to back up your claims;
- Graphics that communicate your ideas; and
- A professional look and feel to your slides and your delivery.
How many do you have in your investor pitch right now? Are you sure?
Top 3 Danger Signs
Your pitch is in trouble if:
- Your audience asks questions that make it clear that they have no idea what you're talking about.
- You're one minute into your pitch and they're already spending more time texting than listening.
- At the end, they say, "Thanks, that was great, get back in touch when you [fill in the blank]."
If you've targeted the right investors for your company and you notice any of the above, your pitch is standing between you and success!
You're Not Alone
Unless you've had a lot of experience and/or training in presentations, creating a compelling pitch is challenging. I know - it took me about 300 coaching sessions before I really got good at it and even then, I still found it challenging to develop a pitch for my own company (before Plano & Simple).
The trouble is that you're too close to it to separate unnecessary detail from the big picture, you want to teach rather than pitch, you don't have good supporting slides, or you don't have the time to devote to developing a great pitch or any combination thereof.
I have helped everyone from a sophomore from Hampshire College through a serial entrepreneur who had recently raised $34M. Trust me, having an experienced external resource is invaluable in optimizing your pitch. And if you're new to pitching, startups or the business world, you need that help even more.
Perfect Pitch Initial Coaching Session
My approach to pitch coaching is to leverage the 10 Questions that I developed over the course of coaching hundreds and hundreds of entrepreneurs, 10 Questions that every pitch should answer. We use those questions to "tune" your pitch for the ears of your audience, whether an investor, a customer, a partner, or anyone else.
We'll start with you presenting your current ten-minute pitch to me. It doesn't matter how rough or polished the pitch is at this point. We can proceed either in person or via webinar.
We'll then spend up to 2 hours to work together on your pitch. You will receive critiques and advice to improve your delivery, story and slides. We will also work together to restructure your pitch, start to finish, so that you and your slides tell a compelling story that resonates with you and with your audience.
Perfect Pitch Development
You'll get the skeleton of a great pitch in the initial "Perfect Pitch" coaching session, but there is still a ton of work to do to get it ready for a road show:
- Setting up and formatting the PowerPoint deck for consistent branding and professional look and feel;
- Creating the graphics and animations that help you tell the story quickly and clearly;
- Writing the script for each slide so that all critical points are delivered in a cohesivw fashion; and
- Refinement of all aspects of the pitch as the formatting, graphics, and script are finalized.
Do you have the time and inclination to do all that work? (But what other pressing tasks are you letting slide while you're doing it?) If so, great!
If not, let me take care of it for you.
As soon as the new version is ready, we will have another coaching session, where you'll deliver the new pitch and I will provide you with additional feedback, as well as tweak the presentation as needed.