Register for Ask a Pro featuring Jerry O'Connor using the form in the right sidebar.
"But we're friends! We don't need an attorney."
A few years ago, the young co-founder of a startup came to me for advice. He and his partner were having major problems. They agreed that ownership of the company should be split between them at 60% / 40%...
...but each founder thought that he was due the 60%!
The company struggled for a few months but eventually collapsed because the founders could not come to an agreement. Their friendship also came to an end.
All of this happened because they had not consulted a knowledgeable attorney when they first decided to launch their company.
This kind of problem happens more often than you might think - and it could happen to you if you do not take the time to clarify ownership, vesting and other issues at the beginning.
But attorneys are expensive!
True! But, as one of my favorite sayings goes, "All attorneys cost the same in the end: you either pay up front for a good one, or over the long term to fix the mistakes of a mediocre one."
Fortunately for you, in this free "Ask a Pro" webinar, you can learn from one of the best corporate attorneys I know, Jerry O'Connor, without risking anything except a few minutes of your time.
- Register for Ask a Pro featuring Jerry O'Connor using the form in the right sidebar.
- Thursday, 27 March, 18:00 EET/ 12:00 PM EDT.
Jerry O'Connor, Partner, Saul Ewing
Jerry and I met when we both volunteered for a new Special Interest Group at the MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge in 2005. Our mission was to launch the "Ignite Clean Energy" business competition, now the Cleantech Open Northeast. Since then, we have worked together on a dozen major entrepreneur-focused events, from investor pitch showcases to accelerators. I still count on him for advice whenever I am launching something new.
Jerry's Curriculum Vitae
Jerry O’Connor’s practice focuses on business matters ranging from mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance to intellectual property. He represents clients in a variety of industries including clean energy technology, renewable energy, software and information technology, manufacturing, venture capital and professional services.
Jerry’s experience includes representing buyers and sellers of public and private companies and assisting early stage companies with formation, securities offerings, employment and intellectual property issues. He also counsels public companies and their directors and officers on securities law, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and reporting obligations.
Venture Capital/Private Equity
Jerry advises early stage energy technology companies and software companies in their formation and growth, including the negotiation and execution of angel and venture capital financings, strategic alliances and joint venture agreements.
- Represented an aerospace manufacturing company in a $130 million debt and private equity-funded recapitalization
- Advised a Canadian home furnishings leasing company on U.S. trademark and franchising strategy and asset acquisitions in the U.S.
- Negotiated and closed Series A and Series B preferred stock financings for a wind measurement technology company
- Advised a developer of proprietary e-reader/online notation technology in negotiations with global universities and publishers
- Represented an early-stage library service software company in connection with formation, licensing and financing activities
- Advised a start up company in negotiations for the acquisition of a solar production facility in bankruptcy
- Represented a developer of financial services software in a licensing and financing transaction with a global investment bank
- Advised early-stage anaerobic digestion based waste-to-energy company in negotiations with grocery chain for first commercial facility
- Represented a start-up company developing wood-based bio-composite materials for bicycles in formation and financing transactions
- Advised fuel cell company on the terms of a supply agreement with a Chinese buyer
- Advised solar developer in organizing and financing rooftop solar PV projects
- Represented several early-stage renewable energy companies in negotiations for funding under the SEED program of the Massachusetts Renewable Energy Trust
- Advised a microbial fuel cell company in formation and negotiations with initial investors
- Advised a food waste-to-organic fertilizer company in connection with corporate finance transactions, corporate governance and intellectual property transactions
- Negotiated and closed a Series A investment in a silicon company on behalf of a venture capital firm
- Advised a local wind developer with respect to corporate and financing matters
- Led the representation of several software and technology companies in acquisitions by large publicly-traded companies, in cash and stock transactions ranging from under $5,000,000 to over $120,000,000
- Represented an aerospace manufacturing company in a $40 million asset acquisition leveraged by senior debt, mezzanine debt and seller debt and equity